Saturday, April 12, 2008

Thing 22. What Did I Learn Today?

I have to say that I was surprised at how current I am. Not bad for an over-the-hill boomer teetering on the brink.

Wait, I'm only 52. I'm not dead yet.

"I feel happy!!"

I guess being part of science fiction fandom has contributed to that. We tend to be a forward looking crowd and on the edge of all the technology trends.

I did email when the only program was sendmail. I was on Compu$erve over 20 years ago. Electronic bulletin boards & Usenet used to be big.

In fact, what folks call Web 2.0 has always been there - the tools just keep catching up to what people are doing.

And Libraries have always embraced the new technology. The first place I ever encountered a computer system was at the Stamford, CT Public Library. I used Dialog on a TI terminal with acoustic couplers and chemical paper. The big improvement was being able to craft your search while off line and upload it.

It's a question of mindset.

No comments: